Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Jlogging (Journal-Blogging?)

http://sparklesandsecrets.com/category/personal/

A while back it seems that I stumbled upon this, bookmarked it, and never came back to it. I don't recall the reason that I found it interesting, but I did. The blog owner reflects on 2014, a journal-like activity in my opinion. 

As you scroll down, she reflects in depth on the apps that many use to enhance their features in pictures-referring to us as models, and Instagram is our agency. An app called Facetune (one I've never heard of, probably because I'd never use it, also because users use it in secret) gives users the ability to rid of blemishes and change the shape of their bodies. In a world where judgment prevails, this may seem useful. Although I am a hypocrite, I definitely only post pictures where I look (to my standards) pretty, NEVER would I spend time pinching a screen to be aesthetic to my not-so-caring followers. 

In my opinion, a journal can be anything, personal content or not. She discusses issues that are so important to recognize in todays day and age. Beauty standards have become such a central focus that real and important things go unrecognized or receive less attention than they should. By bringing attention to things such as apps like this and posing questions such as "Why should society’s standard of beauty be unattainable without an app or an eating disorder?", she is bringing awareness to an important issue, whether it be for her eyes only or for thousands of readers.

What is the issue? The issue is how little of importance we deem our minds, our achievements, things we should be proud of. Obviously if someone is overweight to a point where it is unhealthy and life threatening, weight loss is an important and recognizable achievement, I'm not saying it's not. But for girls to be obsessing over every bite, every workout they did or didn't do, it is absurd. And she mildly points this out. It's effective because it brings awareness in a way that is not pushing it on us. 

She journals in a way that others are able to relate. She takes issues that are important in her life as a young woman, and she makes them more approachable, she gives readers a perspective that they may not have. (AKA girls who actually use things like that and don't think it is detrimental to their minds/self images). I think that a post like this is powerful, though it reaches a small audience, it is important.

It is mostly effective because she is relating these things to her life, gives examples, she can empathize with a young girl reading her posts about body image as a societal issue, she is not choosing a topic that only affects her.

She also has other pages, one entitled relationships, where she begins with an anecdote about a past romantic interest who messaged her out of the blue. Instantly I could relate to this, I could picture whose name would pop up, and I could feel the way my stomach used to sink when he would message me, the way my face turned red with excitement/anxiousness. She then goes on to talk about how this message would have affected her a year or six months ago, but now, it doesn't. She called it "break up utopia", something I think every young person has (and if you haven't, you will) experienced with past romantic interests. That moment when you stop checking their social media, when you aren't wondering what they're doing and why it's taking so long to respond--she is relatable. Though this part of her blog is more of an "advice column" for readers, it still strikes me as a more journal-like entry, mostly because it is reflective and somewhat in-depth whilst still keeping said-romanic interest anonymous. She is reflecting while both helping and relating to others, which is huge in journaling.

No comments:

Post a Comment