Monday, January 19, 2015

You Can't Light a Fire Without a Flame

Community Post #2

I have never been a religious journal-er. Every once in a while I think of something I deem important and I put it in the notes app in my phone if I am out and about, occasionally I will find the time to sit down and write about how I feel about things. Mostly, I like to write stories based on personal experience.

In September before classes started I had my computer wiped, having thought I had backed it up, I turned it back on and everything was gone. Every thing I had ever written. Stories, poems, a 27 page book-that-never-was. I cried. I could not ever think about doing that again. There was so much that was lost in that loss. Personas I had created, reflections on my experiences, poems about things I had been feeling at certain times in my life.

It upsets me to this day that all of that is lost, since then I have been discouraged to write because I feel like nothing I will ever write again will be that good. I was so proud of my story. Those stories I had written and those poems were a part of who I am, or was. The thought of ever deleting or burning anything I have written or will ever write makes me almost a little sick, because it is a huge part of who I am.

1 comment:

  1. Traditional journaling does appear to be somewhat of a lost art. Because of computer crashes, I, too, have lost stuff I've written. Worse feeling in the world.

    ReplyDelete