Wednesday, February 4, 2015

6 Word Memoirs

Week 5: Community Post # 3





I Can’t Keep My Own Secrets: Six Word Memoirs by Teens Famous & Obscure


I chose this series of “flash” memoirs not only for its interesting form of six words or less but because as a writer of young adult fiction I always try to find time to read work coming from real teens. 

Teenage writers are often the most fearless and brutal in their expression of emotion because they are experiencing each emotion as if it’s the first time. These memoirs range from heartwarming to heart-wrenching and I think its a piece of work that can touch any reader. The form really lends to an easy read but as you'll see that doesn't mean it will be comfortable.

My favorite memoirs:
"Reflections reflect reflections I don't want," -Matthew Burgos
"Grandpa fought for me and cancer,"-Heather 
"Love For Sale! Repriced and secondhand,"-Matthew Burgos

http://www.amazon.com/Cant-Keep-My-Own-Secrets/dp/0061726842


I found these memoirs cathartic because as a teen I struggled to find places where I felt heard and could express myself. My goal as a young adult fiction writer is to provide solace for teens the way the fiction of my youth helped me. The website six-word memoir and the collections they have give hope to teenagers.

1 comment: