Monday, February 9, 2015

I Am Malala.

I Am Malala.

It's the memoir of a 14 year old girl, who in her short life has experienced and accomplished more than I will ever see for the rest of my life.

Malala grew up in Pakistan, where it was very difficult for girls to be educated. Yet, she wanted to have an education. Her father, a teacher, knew this and encouraged her to pursue this.

Throughout her stories, we see the rise and fall of the Pakistani government. Also, we see her school get taken over by the Taliban. The Taliban gets word of this young girl named Malala who stands up for female education, and they shoot her dead in the middle of the day on her way to school.

She survives and becomes an even greater advocate for education. She even will earn Noble Peace Prize.

As a reader, the catharsis for me rests in the notion that there are people out learn fighting just to be educated, where I take it for granted. Malala is quoted as saying, "We craved education like we craved any other type of nourishment."

People crave knowledge. I feel so grateful to have a wealth of it at my feet. It's only mine to lose.

1 comment:

  1. This is on my list to read; incredible story.

    ReplyDelete