Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Week 5: Coming of Age During a Revolution

I originally read the first volume of Persepolis in one of my high school English classes and the story stuck with me for years. When I found a version with all the volumes in one, I ordered it almost instantly and have read through it several times.

For those who don't know, Persepolis is the story of Marjane Satrapi growing up in a revolutionary Iran and later attempting to assimilate to western culture. The fact that it's a graphic novel makes it a quick read and makes it that much easier to go back and reread my favorite sections. Thanks to her style of illustration, Satrapi blends humor with the serious issues found throughout her graphic novel.

I could never imagine having to live what she lived through as a child in Iran. I liked the perspective of looking at war through a child's eyes and later seeing how those experiences in Iran shaped who she became as a woman. The story itself is gripping and makes it hard to put the book down.

1 comment:

  1. This one has gone under my radar; thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete