Monday, February 9, 2015

Week 5: Favorite Memoir

Mortality, by Christopher Hitchens is my favorite memoir. Rich in detail, Hitchens invites his readers to embark on his 18 month long cancerous journey.

Imagine you are a best-selling author, attending book signings and appearing as a guest on t.v. shows. Imagine you have plans and ideas for your future. Imagine. Imagine that upon waking from the velvety blackness of sleep, you feel as Christopher Hitchens did, described below. :

"But nothing prepares me for the early morning in June when I came to consciousness feeling as if I were actually shackled to my own corpse. The whole cave of my chest and thorax seemed to have been hollowed out, and then refilled with  slow-drying cement. I could finality hear myself breathe but could not manage to I inflate my lungs. My heart was either beating much-too-much or much to little..."(Hitchens, 1.)

Through Hitchen's powerful use of language, he creates not only a memoir, but an experience for his readers. Through his experience, it challenges readers to evaluate their lives and determine what is most important to them in their lives.

1 comment: