Sunday, February 8, 2015

Week 5: Night by Elie Wiesel

I first read Elie Wiesel's Night when I was in middle school. My family was greatly involved in the war efforts during WWII and the period of time has always fascinated. I had visited the Holocaust Museum in Farmington Hills and the next day I went to the school library and checked out a copy of the book.

Night is the story of not Elie Wiesel himself, but by the persona Elizer. Elizer is the representation of Wiesel. Elizer and his Jewish family are sent to Birkenau, a Nazi concentration camp. Here he is separated from his mother and sisters and is selected to preform physical labor with his father. Elizer witness the growing horrors of the concentration camp and the changing of humanity around him. The prisoners are becoming just as cruel as their captors towards each other. He begins to lose his faith with the passing terrors that he experiences which continue until the concentration camp is liberated by the American Army.

What I learned from this memoir when I read it was how ones faith can be pushed to its limits and that faith in humanity can be demolished by the cruelty of others. 

1 comment:

  1. This is a must read even though it is an emotional read.

    ReplyDelete