Friday, February 27, 2015

Week 7: A Tough Situation at a Young Age Made Me Stronger



Nothing in life is easy and I have learned that in my 21 years of living so far. As a child, I experienced something that changed my life forever but for the better. I was born December 15, 1993 in Florida and a little bit after my birth parents got divorced and after my mother did not want anything to do with my brother and I afterwards. I was only about one when this happened in my life. I lived with my grandmother for while and my father and brother moved away to Michigan. Once my grandma got sick and could no longer take care of me she informed my father to come get me or she would just call Social Services. My dad sold his car and came to met us in Texas to come get me. I look back on these days like I was actually that young going through all this? I mean of course at the time I did not understand but when I finally did, I was just did not know really what to say.  Ever since I turned 4 years old, I have been living in Michigan. I always wondered why me? How can you give birth to two children and not care to contact them? There would be times I cried myself to sleep and tried figuring out did I do something wrong. There is not much harm me and my brother could have did to make her act this way. No calls or letters ever came. As a child, you wish for things to constantly happen but as I got older I came to the realization everything happens for a reason. The story gets so much deeper but my point of telling that specific part of that situation is because it had the most impact on me. As you get older, your mentality and way of thinking changes. Situations are looked at different when you begin to mature throughout life. I could sit around all day and cry about this situation but it is not going to change nothing that has already happened. Life goes on. The situation turned for the better though.


In first grade I remember my father meeting an amazing woman that always has cared for me and my brother as her own since day one. She is my mother in my eyes and nobody can tell me different. I have learned to accept my situation as time went it because it is a tough situation. It feels like she toke all the pain away because at a time I thought about what happened all the time and now it is rare. I cannot erase what has happened in the past but I can make it better.


The moral of the story is that everything happens for a reason and never get stuck on the past. I feel like you may not understand what is happening at the exact moment but eventually you will. It toke 16 years before I found out this was for the better. The beginning of my memoir might have some confused because I just tell what happened to me in small details but there is a lesson behind it. I once was told the greatest lessons are learned through pain.  I have an amazing father and mother whom I love dearly. I honor my parents because without them I would not be where I am today. I allowed what happened to motivate me in a positive way. The only thing I could really say is I forgive but never forget. I could never hold a grudge because life is too short. She never has to apologize to me but I already accept and forgave a long time ago. You can turn a negative situation into positivity with the right mindset.


5 comments:

  1. Hi! Your memoir is incredibly sad, and I am so sorry that you had to learn the lesson the way you did.

    Strengths: Explaining the catharsis you had from this experience and allowing the readers to understand how much this has impacted you as a young adult as well as how it has given you some perspective.
    Weaknesses: There were a few spelling errors that I found slightly distracting. You had great thoughts and ideas but for me a memoir is a story, it felt more like we were having a conversation rather than I was reading a story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I really enjoyed reading your memoir. I am sorry that you had to go through the pain of being deserted by your mother at such a young age. You are very lucky though to have a grandmother who took you in and later a woman to take you in as her daughter. You are right, you only get stronger when you are forced to deal with difficult situations.

    Strengths: It must have been hard to write about such a sad, personal experience. I feel that you aloud your readers to get to know you through your pain. You allowed the readers to see how this sad event shaped you into being a stronger person.

    Weaknesses: There were a few spelling errors that were a little distracting and also some strangely phrased sentences that took away from your voice as the writer. However, I was still able to understand where you were coming from and I was able to learn about you through this story.

    Thank you for sharing something so personal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading your memoir because it was similar to mine. I like how you shared a background story while also recalling specific events that happened. I personally found it hard to let go and share personal events. I think you did an exceptional job at allowing the reader to understand this event in your life and how it effected you. One thing in particular I liked about your memoir is that even though you choose a heavier topic there was a positive ending. I enjoyed how you asked question throughout your memoir. By asking questions you allowed the reader to think about what was being said in your piece.

    One suggested that I would give is to use A little more detail while sharing your story. My topic was similar to your so I understand how challenging it was for you to share that part of your life that was so personal. Adding more detail will have allowed for the reader to have a better visual image than the one you created. I think that the element of imagery would add I different feel to the piece. I think your memoir has universal appeal because your situation is relate able.There are a lot of kids who grow up with one parent or step parents. Sharing your experience can help someone younger than you cop with the absence of a parent. I think you memoir shows how a person can be resilient, you did not let your situation define you. Overall, I think you did a great job capturing a specific moment in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading your memoir because it was similar to mine. I like how you shared a background story while also recalling specific events that happened. I personally found it hard to let go and share personal events. I think you did an exceptional job at allowing the reader to understand this event in your life and how it effected you. One thing in particular I liked about your memoir is that even though you choose a heavier topic there was a positive ending. I enjoyed how you asked question throughout your memoir. By asking questions you allowed the reader to think about what was being said in your piece.

    One suggested that I would give is to use A little more detail while sharing your story. My topic was similar to your so I understand how challenging it was for you to share that part of your life that was so personal. Adding more detail will have allowed for the reader to have a better visual image than the one you created. I think that the element of imagery would add I different feel to the piece. I think your memoir has universal appeal because your situation is relate able.There are a lot of kids who grow up with one parent or step parents. Sharing your experience can help someone younger than you cop with the absence of a parent. I think you memoir shows how a person can be resilient, you did not let your situation define you. Overall, I think you did a great job capturing a specific moment in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All good suggestions from your reviewers. First and foremost, a memoir is a story even though it is a true story. Writing a memoir is especially difficult because you have to contemplate not only what to tell but how to tell it as well.

    ReplyDelete