Monday, March 2, 2015

A True Moment of Happiness

A True Moment of Happiness

      In the eyes of the culinary world, I haven’t been a pastry chef for very long. In my short three years of being a chef I have created many tasty and beautiful desserts. I haven’t always wanted to be a chef, it wasn’t something that I grew up dreaming about. Baking was something that I was good at. It came easily to me and I had a nack for it. But above all that, it made me happy. I experienced pure joy making treats for my coworkers and for the store. Seeing them happy and enjoying something I created was pure joy. 



      Now, my work area is very small and less then ideal. I’m in the back of the store I work at next to the dishwashers. I don’t get to see customers very often, only when I head out into the store to fill the cookie case. Sometimes on my trip out into the store to fill the case customers speak to me. They ask if I am the one who makes all of the cookies that we sell. I tell them yes and then they compliment me on my creations. I don’t like to fish for compliments, but it is very nice to receive such kind words. It makes me feel like my love of baking is shown through the desserts in the case.

      My absolute faviorte moment is when I see children with their parents at the case. Kids are predicatble in their choice of cookie. They always pick the colourful ones, the Italian sprinkle cookie. I’m not sure what makes them Italian, they are simply a sugar cookie covered in non parel sprinkles. I love seeing kids point to the cookies and beg their parents for one. It’s so rewarding to see the smile on children’s faces as they take a bite of the cookie. That’s why I do this.


I remember when I was a kid that I wanted to make people happy, I wanted to have a job where I served the people and could beneift them. I get to do that everyday. I might not always see or get to speak to customers, but knowing they are buying the products I made and are enjoying them is all the satifaction I need. Knowing that the customers are happy makes me happy as a chef. My job is done.

3 comments:

  1. I think the universal appeal to this memoir is the fact that most people love sweets! I kid, I joke. The imagery in this piece was wonderful as I know exactly what you are talking about when it comes to a bakery shop. I can tell that your happiness doesn't come from baking but seeing people enjoy your creations. It broke my heart to read that you always don't get to see people looking at your baked goods, choosing them out, the excitement of children and adults picking out the delicious sweets. There seems to be a longing in this piece. It is subtle. The story is set in the ordinary and yet, I want to read more. The only weakness I saw was I wouldn't say you "fish for compliments" because there is already a genuine and humble tone to this piece. As a reader, I know you are not wanting compliments. You are wanting affirmation. And that is truly the universal appeal in this piece. We all want to feel affirmation in our work. Sometimes, we don't always get to see the difference we are making or people enjoying what we have created. I liked this piece and its subtleties.

    ReplyDelete

  2. I enjoyed your memoir because I have recently decided I want to take up baking. I liked reading your memoir because I could feel that you have a true passion for what you do. I like how the whole memoir came full circle at the end. You mentioned how you've always wanted to be a puff pastry chef as a child. It's inspiring that you grew up and made your dreams reality. I like how through the piece you take the reader through the journey of becoming a chef. I like how vivid your detail was and how you were able to tie different ides together.

    One suggestion I would give would be to add some specific experiences. Do you have any funny memories about first learning your craft? For example, you mentioned that you love the reactions from kids once they have you pastries. Do you have any memorable children you've met? I think by adding a few personal experiences will allow the reader to really understand the life of a pastry chef. I think your memoir universal appeal because it shows where determination can take a person. You had a dream when you where younger and you did not stop until it cam true. I think the message through your memoir is perseverance. has Overall, I enjoyed your memoir. Now I'm more excited to learn how to bake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice development of voice; as Eblogs indicates, it might be a good idea to frame your memoir with some flashbacks or to pick one moment to develop the telling of the memoir. Every reader will glean something different from this story because you don't overtly express what is you learned. As Grammar Queen notes, you are subtle in your delivery; readers may want more to connect with this piece.

    ReplyDelete