Sunday, March 8, 2015

Week 8: Memoir Critique

Everything Will Change
I just want to start off with this: thank you for opening up and sharing such a tough time in your life with us. Dealing with the death of a loved one is something we'll all go through. I think hearing about and learning from others' experiences will help when it inevitably happens to us; that's one thing I took away after reading this memoir.

The writing in this memoir is strong, especially in the description of the author's grieving period. One instance of this that stuck out to me was the "sadness is like a wave" section. I liked that the writer used personal details while keeping the memoir's universal appeal. I feel like this memoir was not only cathartic for the writer, but also for anyone who has recently lost a parent or loved one and is having a hard time thinking about a future without them.


A True Moment of Happiness
In just four paragraphs, it's easy to see how passionate the author is about their job. She communicated that well. I love to bake and can definitely relate to the feeling of happiness when someone enjoys your baking.  I wish the pictures worked on my computer. I would've loved to see your workspace or some of your tasty creations.

Some food for thought-- I think adding a specific "moment of happiness" with a customer would make this memoir even stronger. Think "show, don't tell." The only other things I noticed were just some proofreading issues. Other than that, great job!

No comments:

Post a Comment