Sunday, March 8, 2015

Week 8: Two Critiques of Memoirs

Critique on  A Vacation to Panama City Beach-

What initially drew me to read this memoir was the title. I love traveling and reading about unfamiliar places. I have recently been hearing many positive things about this area, so I might just have to go one of these days!

After reading the memoir, I walk away leaning two life lessons: the importance of trying new things and enjoying life, and that sometimes, it’s ok to take a break and recharge.

What makes this memoir successful is that it is relatable. Whether an introvert or an extrovert, there comes a time in everyone’s life when they are faced with a new situation, whether that be moving out of your parent’s home in pursuit to start your own life, applying to jobs, your first time getting on a plane, your first kiss, the first day of classes, etc. What’s important is that we view these new experiences as opportunities to learn something about ourselves and the beautiful  gift called life that we are blessed with. In regards to being stressed and needing to take a break, I can personally relate to this idea. A people pleaser, I oftentimes try to take on more than I can handle: babysitting jobs, my professional career, hanging out with friends, doing things with family, all while trying to get my studies accomplished. Believe me when I say I know the feeling of being overwhelmed. That’s when I have to remind myself to take a deep breath, prioritize, go for  a run, just to take my mind away from it all.

Through vivid descriptions, the author brings us into Panama City Beach with her. It’s as if I've been there, without the tan to prove it J

Possibly the one critique that I have about the piece is that it is repetitive. In paragraphs three, five and six, the author describes, more or less, the same scenery of the blue, sparkling water, the fish biting their toes, and the view of the hotel and being one with nature. As humans, I think it is plausible to want to reiterate moments or images that were are emotionally and/or physically attached to. We want others to feel what we felt and to see what we saw. However, it is unnecessary to continue replaying the same scenes.

Overall, the author did a great job at making clear relatable points, and had great use of colorful words that ultimately drew the reader into the memoir.


Critique of Audition Time:


Once again, what makes this memoir successful is that it is relatable. While not all of us had to audition to get accepted to a school, we all had to apply and either face rejection or acceptation. That in itself is a pretty nerve-racking and intimidating experience. Then you add deciding your major and it’s a whole other level of both excitement and “oh my gosh, what the HECK AM I GOING TO FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE?!?!” We’ve all been there a time or two, too! 

 What initially drew me into the story was the “click, delete, click, delete.” I could hear the click of a mouse making these actions. There was also humor in it: “a freshman move, right?” Overall, this memoir was successful because it was relatable and humorous. 

he one thing that I might suggest is that you add in what major you decided to go with. From the memoir, I think you either went into advertising or English, but I don’t think you actually say what you decided to major in. As a reader, this is a question that I am left wanting to know the answer, because you spend a great deal of the memoir talking about this topic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment